One Stop Student Shop

About Rijksdienst voor Identiteitsgegevens

If you are in the Netherlands for 4 months or less, you have to get registered at an RNI office. You can register at a municipality that has a desk for non-residents (click button below). After registering in the RNI you will be given a Burgerservicenummer – BSN (citizen service number), which you need for various reasons explained under Dutch Formalities. To receive your BSN, you will have to bring a valid form of identification with you, such as a passport or an identity card. There are no costs associated with your registration.


If you want to register in the RNI there are 19 municipalities that have a non-residents desk, you can contact one of these RNI municipalities for any RNI-related matters. Which one you choose is up to you.

Contact Rijksdienst voor Identiteitsgegevens

Turfmarkt 147, 2511 DP Den Haag

Social Media

Why do we work together?

As we explained in Formalities, signing up in your municipality and getting a Citizen Services Number (BSN in Dutch) is of great importance. BSN is used on all legal documents here in the Netherlands. Having a BSN allows you to do other important things, like opening a Dutch bank account.


Some students might come to the Netherlands for only a short period (less than 4 months). For these students registering in the Netherlands works a little bit differently. These students should register in the RNI. The Rijksdienst voor Identiteitsgegevens sees to it students can do this in an easy fashion, so that they have their BSN as soon as possible. International Student Services tries to help the integration process of these short-term international students as well by providing clear information on this process as well. Above we explain how you can get registered in the RNI and receive your BSN; please follow the instructions carefully.